Is there any way to speed up scaffolding?

May 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Hello,

I have a problem with scaffolding timings. It takes about 20 sec to scaffold a controller with repository (with default templates), and I do batch scaffolding on a timely manner, about 50 model classes at a time (I'm testing some template improvements and I want to regen all the app at once).

I have a dual core laptop with plenty of ram and devenv consumes 1 core.

Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks,
Mike 

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

It's a serious pain mike. This afternoon I started with a single entity to generate controller and so on. it was okay for me. Then I thought of doing something more easy to get things run quickly and get the work done. You know what I have approx 9 tables with approximate 8-9 fields inside. And when I sent command to package manager as to generate all controller and all the associated views god! it took more than 10 min.

I was doing 50+ tables and generating all the aspx stuff with code smith code generator, that was too faster let say just 3 min job max!!

I run my terminal with windows 7 + visual studio 2010 ultimate with quad core cpu and a 8gb ram. You know what there is no performance improvement with respect to t4 performance I think so.. because I installed visual studio 2012 last night and I was just trying to play the same stuff. Oh boy no luck.

although It looks good to me. As may be some day microsoft will fix up the performance stuff. And yeah another bug which is still there with visual studio 2012. once you are done with scaffolding your cursor is pointed to source code window even if you were working into package manger. ;)

Let me know if you got certain info on the same.