Now the install/update/uninstall appears to be broken

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:27 AM

Something appears to be broken with the packages/files for this project now. Everything I try to do with it gives me errors about corrupt files. I've opened a fresh new project and still get these errors. Is it something with the package that it's trying to download or is this a problem with files that are on my local system that are corrupted?

PM> Install-Package MvcScaffolding
Install-Package : File contains corrupted data.
At line:1 char:16
+ Install-Package <<<<  MvcScaffolding
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Install-Package], FileFormatException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGet.VisualStudio.Cmdlets.InstallPackageCmdlet

PM> Uninstall-Package MvcScaffolding -Force
Uninstall-Package : File contains corrupted data.
At line:1 char:18
+ Uninstall-Package <<<<  MvcScaffolding -Force
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Uninstall-Package], FileFormatException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGet.VisualStudio.Cmdlets.UninstallPackageCmdlet

May 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I found the answer to my own problem. This method of installing MVCScaffolding has a flaw. It writes a file in the same directory as your solution file (.sln) called scaffolding.config. The problem with this is that if you did not create your solution in Visual Studio 2010 with the option to "Create folder for this solution" you'll find that your "Projects" folder may have more than one solution file in it. So my issue to report here is that when I opened a 2nd project and tried to use MVCScaffolding with it, it tried to overwrite or somehow conflicted with the config files for Scaffolding from the 1st project and just caused a general f*** up. The only way I found to work around this for now has been to move the projects far from eachother or delete or rename the scaffolding.config file before using it in another project.

This may be a NuGet problem or an MVCScaffolding problem but I'm not sure. IMHO, the file should be put in the project directory structure to avoid conflict with other projects in the solution or from other unrelated projects that are sitting in a developer's "Projects" folder.